Skip to main content

Burn FAQ

Here are some common questions that are asked, please contact us if you have any questions that are not addressed below.

  1. When is Burning Season?
    • Burning season dates can be found on the Umatilla County website here.
  2. What is the purpose of the new burn policy?
    • The purpose of the new burn policy is to prohibit fires that emit smoke that create a nuisance or are hazardous to our health.
  3. What can I burn?
    • Paper, cardboard, and yard debris which includes limbs, twigs, and cut trees shrubbery.
  4. Can I burn leaves, grass clippings or other slow burning vegetable material?
    • No, leaves and grass clipping create smoke that can be a nuisance as well as this smoke has been found to be hazardous to our health.
  5. I have a burn barrel what can I burn?
    • If you cut down your burn barrel you can burn paper and cardboard only. Limbs, twigs, and cut tree shrubbery only can be burned in a burn barrel as long as only yard debris is burned, barrel is in good shape and a screen is used.
  6. Must I attend the fire at all times?
    • All open burning shall be constantly supervised until the fire is dead out.
  7. What do I need before I burn?
    • Safety equipment shall be readily available during burning for use in extinguishing the fire. A minimum of one portable fire extinguisher with a minimum 4-A rating or other approved on-site fire extinguishing equipment such as water, garden hose or water truck shall be available for immediate utilization.
  8. I have a patio fire place, how far from a structure does it have to be?
    • 15 feet from a structure
  9. Does the burn rules apply to a business?
    • Businesses can burn tumbleweeds and brush only. Open burning of construction, demolition and commercial waste within the City of Hermiston and within a three (3) mile radius of the City of Hermiston requires an open burn letter from Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (ODEQ).
  10. Is burning allowed during the no burning period?
    • Yes, under special circumstances, please contact the Fire Marshal for assistance.
  11. Is a burn permit required in the City of Stanfield? 
    • Yes, a burn permit issued by the City of Stanfield is required for open burning within the City Limits in accordance with Ordinance 424-2018. 
  12.  Am I protected from liability when burning in accordance with these regulations? 
    • No, Under ORS 476.380(3)(b), the failure to provide adequate protection for the escape of fire and injury or damage to the property of another, constitutes prima facie evidence that the burning was not safe.