The Resident Intern program is designed for the new or experienced Firefighter or EMT. Our program provides the student with valuable training and benefits, but more importantly, the experience that cannot be attained in a classroom. This valuable experience is gained by working shoulder to shoulder with our professional personnel at emergency scenes.
The open application period has closed. We will start accepting again applications in January 2024.
Application and Selection Process:
Applications and/or resumes will be reviewed and top candidates will be selected and invited to an interview process.
Those candidates selected will complete UCFD #1’s physical abilities firefighter challenge, will have a background/reference check, and will pass a drug screening to be eligible for the position.
Resident Intern Benefits:
- $1750 per term for college tuition, books, fees.
- Room provided rent free at station 22, 23, or 24.
- Training in all aspects of structure and wild land firefighting, emergency medicine, and fire prevention.
- Licensed Oregon EMTs receive $22 per hour for out-of-town inter-facility transports on our medic units.
- Experience from working shifts with our professional staff.
Eligibility Requirements for the Resident Intern Program:
- Must be 18 years of age
- Valid and insurable driver’s license
- No felony record
- Must meet requirements for NFPA 1582
- Maintain a 12 credit hour per term towards a degree in fire science, emergency medicine, or registered nurse (see links to right)
- Must maintain a 2.5 GPA with a C grade minimum in every class
- Must be able to work ten, 24 hour shifts per month
- Must reside at station 22, 23, or 24 for ten nights per month minimum
- Goal oriented to becoming a professional in the fire or EMS service
- Positive and self motivated
- Ability to adapt to dynamic situations encountered during a 24 hour shift, including public relations activities.
- NFPA Entry Level Firefighter or higher certification
- S-130 and S-190 certifications or higher
- Any national or state EMT certifications